Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Morning


I set up this blog for my classroom; however, my sister-in-law and others have inspired me to blog about my family life, as well. It's Easter morning, and we are sitting on our front porch. I have traveled to many wonderful places, but my front porch is my favorite place in the world. Jackson is reading Nicole's blog post aloud; John is preparing his Sunday school lesson; John David is relaxing in the swing. The birds are singing, and the flowers, blooming. It's perfect. My neighbor across the street is working in his flower bed so I'll have more flora to enjoy! I am surrounded by Rebirth.

I've got to prepare my SS lesson for today. I think it will focus on HOPE. During the middle of the night, we were awakened by the phone ringing twice. As I tried to get back to sleep, I pondered the Resurrection. For me, it means that no matter how dark our days may be, there is hope as long as we live in relationship with God, each other, and nature.

Every morning I walk outside and look at my flowers. Over night slight changes occur. I watch the buds turn into blooms: hope. Each day the temperature becomes a little warmer: hope. I see students receiving letters of acceptance, signing scholarships, and passing the graduation exam: hope. I talk to members of a family who have just lost their husband/daddy and yet they are struggling to smile and survive: hope. I listen to my boys practice the piano and trumpet as they develop a talent that will bring joy to others: hope. I read the blog of a former student who is in the hospital, patiently waiting to have her baby: hope. I see a nation that is facing its greatest crisis in my lifetime and an energetic, intelligent President, who is struggling to find a solution: hope. Basically, I see many people struggling, just as that little bud struggles to bloom. In the midst of the suffering, I see a strength that is developed through hope for a better tomorrow.

My hope is that we realize God lives through us and among us. It is only by sharing his love with others on a daily basis that we make the Resurrection a little more than new Sunday outfits, candy, and Easter egg hunts.

No comments: