Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Student Blogs

I'm so proud of my students for creating their blogs. I hope they will enjoy reading them in the future. I wish we could have blogged all semester. We read "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" in class today. I had students think of a special place. We brainstormed a list. I'm including the characteristics of Romanticism here in case any students need to review: emphasis on nature, imagination, feelings, ordinary experiences, supernatural, innocence, the past, simpler times, the Orient, Middle Ages. The poets wrote about hermits, children, and ordinary people doing everyday things.

I guess I feel closest to Wordsworth. I, too, turn to my "inward eye" to remember special places. I often think about the Western North Carolina mountains and Lake Glenville, the beach, my front yard. I've learned patience from watching my flowers slowly grow and bloom. I think about how short and precious life is as I watch these same blooms mature and die just a few days later. I recall the innocence of childhood as I talk to my own boys and some of my students. (Most have moved from innocence to experience.)

No comments: