Saturday, November 1, 2008

Digital Age Comes to Andy High

Posted August 25, 2008 on edublogs.org
Tomorrow will mark two weeks of our new school year and two weeks of using digital technology. After spending most of my summer trying to learn all about Web 2.0, I felt pretty good about my newfound knowledge. However, the Friday before school started on Monday, I realized I had not tried my LCD projector, yet. I went late Friday afternoon and turned it on (with help from my sister-in-law). Wow! That was easy. I spent most of Saturday working in my room. On Sunday I tested the laptop and projector with my sons. Everything was ready to go.
Monday morning arrived. I was eager to begin our new journey into the future. I should add that our beautiful building was built in the 1940s. On Monday morning I had no airconditioning and no Internet connectivity from any of the computers in my room! I still used the projector and laptop without the Internet. I passed out CD-Roms of our new literature books and French I books. All in all, it was a good day. My students were well behaved and excited about our new ideas. I was so hot by the end of the day that my hair was sticking to my face. I felt as if I had gone back in time instead of forward.

Tuesday came, and it was my day for the laptop cart. (Five of us will share a cart with 10 laptops.) Of course, no one could log in. The tech coordinator came to my room and helped us. We spent the morning setting up Gmail and AirSet accounts. I should mention that we couldn’t set up many Gmail accounts at one time from the same access point. I got connected with my laptop. It would be Friday before my PC would have connectivity. I was so tired when I got home that I collapsed. All I could think about was that I had committed myself to cheering at the alumni game on Friday night. I certainly didn’t look or feel like a cheerleader.
Wednesday came, and a few students brought their own laptops from home. I assigned several basic things for AirSet: post a link, add a birthday to the calendar, reply to a blog post, and add contact info.

By Thursday and Friday all students were in their AirSet groups. Several students were bringing their own laptops to class, taking notes in Google docs. The school was all abuzz with tech talk. I managed to cheer at the game, and the alumni won. Go old Bulldogs!
This week has been much smoother. I’ve gotten all of my students in Gmail contact groups so that I can send out mass emails. The French students have been blogging in French, and we’ve located three classes in France through ePals to collaborate with on projects. I enjoy Google chatting at night with the students, and it’s very easy and quick to answer a quick question through Gmail.

My seniors have formed Google groups for the Classes of 1999, 1989, 1979, and 1969. We will invite the alumni to join these sites as we research and write the annual homecoming skit that students will perform in October.

I am beginning my 21st year of teaching this year. I am overwhelmed, exhausted, and frustrated by the many challenges and problems technology presents. However, I must admit that this is the most exciting time to be a teacher and student. I truly feel a part of something great-a new age in education. We will look back on this year one day and recall that in 2008 the digital age arrived at Andalusia High School.

No comments: