Saturday, November 1, 2008

NECC 2008


Posted in July 2008 on edublogs

Fourteen of us from AHS travelled to San Antonio for the National Education Computing Convention. In attendance we had our principal, five members from English/foreign languages; three, science; one, math; three, history; and one, career technology/counselor. All fourteen had an amazing experience. We attended seminars on wikis, podcasts, pen-based technology, grant writing, second life, electronic portfolios, project-based learning, and more. We brought back lots of free goodies, publications, and souvenirs.

I gained a greater understanding of these digital technologies, yet I still need to learn to how use them and, more importantly, how to teach my students how to use them. I’ve spent every day since we returned playing/working on the web. Creating this edublog has taken time and patience. I get so far, and then I hit a wall. Hey, it’s better than watching tv.

I think our teachers are somewhere in the middle of incorporating Web 2.0 into our classrooms. Yes, we are a few years behind. However, we do have a plan in place for creating 21st century classrooms. We have come a long way in one year. The most amazing thing is that we have all of our core teachers-young, old, new, and experienced- on board with this plan. Our biggest drawback will be a lack of equipment and funding. Hopefully, we will receive more grant funds to implement fully our plan.

As I’ve stated before, I’ve been teaching for 20 years. I’ve never had the opportunity to travel with thirteen of my colleagues. We had lots of great conversations and formed deeper friendships. None of us will ever forget our trip to San Antonio. I feel so blessed to be a part of the faculty at Andalusia High School. We’ve got an amazing year ahead of us.

Our slogan is “a proud tradition.” We can now take pride in our future.

No comments: